Monday, April 16, 2007

Who says there's no global climate change?

Those who think something isn't screwy with the weather need to visit New Hampshire this week. Half the state is out of power and we're due for more snow tonight and tomorrow. Usually by tax day, the most we get is a little dusting that quickly melts.

On my street, the forest behind my neighbor's house has been leveled, or so says Bryan. I haven't gone that way yet, but saw the pine forest down the other direction on the street pushed over like dominoes. Trees - not just babies, but old ones with massive root systems - are down everywhere and the power company hasn't even been to our town yet and the town's been out of power since 5:00 A.M.

The good thing is that Bryan told me to go get a generator. Unfortunately, he was too busy with the fire department to go with me. He's been out since 6:30 this morning clearing trees and roads and generally making the town safe - my hero. He came back to eat, dry out, and hook up the new generator. I bought one of the last ones at the local building store. Home Depot had the massive ones that Bryan wanted to get, but I could not make that large a purchase on my own and feel comfortable that I wasn't being taken for a ride. So the kids and I decided on a small one, which has my refrigerator going, a lamp and, temporarily at least, the laptop. However, I think I'll trade in the computer for a TV soon and see what's going on in the rest of the world. Tomorrow, Bryan might be able to hook up my well water pump. The joys of running water.

No comments: