Thursday, April 19, 2007

Living in th Dark Ages

72 hours without power and counting. The local paper says there are "dozens without power." I can count dozens on my street alone, so I think they've missed something. Fortunately, Bryan warned me to get a generator or get out of town for a while, so we've got some power. I have lights in my kitchen, running water, a working refrigerator, and heat. What more could I ask for? I even got to take a shower today - by candlelight, but beggars can't be choosers.

Power might not be restored soon either. The road next to us is a mess - completely blocked off. My neighbors don't have power or phone (at least I have a phone) and one can't get to his house at the top of the hill. He has to park at the bottom and walk.

The storm recovery has brought out a certain neighborliness around here. People looking out for each other, those with power offering their homes to those without. My neighbor - the one who can't get up his hill - even ran out to the store to get us some bottled water before our generator was hooked up. Kind, since he was in the same boat and has young children too. The fire department made clear to Bryan that if I needed something while he was gone, I was to call them and ask. Since he gave two days to them, they're happy to give back to us. (Within reason, I presume, but I haven't tested them yet.)

There's other darkness out there, not of the electrical kind. Global warming and our destruction of the planet, the erosion of our Constitutional rights, the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, the growing radicalism around the world including the United States. There's not much to smile about today.

I did laugh at a sig line on an email Bryan got the other day. It said, roughly:
Let's send Iraq our Constitution. We're not using it.

On a happier note, power trucks have been spotted in our area. I'm thinking we should investigate getting solar panels.

No comments: